Wednesday, March 30, 2011

continued gratitude

I spent a good 30 seconds trying to decide if that title rhymed in the effort of being catchy and creative.
It doesn't. Right?
Now I've said it so many times both the words sound funny.
Whatever.

I have decided that it would be beneficial for my heart to continue to focus on thankfulness. Too often lately I'm dependent on my current situation to determine my state of mind and mood. If life is fun, carefree, and going well in one moment, I'm happy and positive. If another moment I'm stressed, intimidated, or bored, I'm discontent and blah.
I need a heart check. With His help, I want to continually focus on things that I'm thankful for throughout the day. Not only because He desires that, but I want to train my mind to start noticing little gifts He provides me; so many times they go unnoticed. By finding things to be thankful for no matter my situation, my perspective of my day can't help but be changed.


“The psalmist’s point [from Psalm 145:9, 15-16) is that, since God controls all that happens in his world, every meal, every pleasure, every possession, every bit of sun, every nights sleep, every moment of health and safety, everything else that sustains and enriches life, is a divine gift” -Knowing God by J I Packer (READ THIS BOOK!)


Today, I'm thankful for:

  • waking up with a full 8 hours of sleep
  • this verse
  • words with friends iphone app
  • finding myself debating on how to spend my afternoon (no looming school assignments the rest of the week!!)
  • falling down the stairs, getting only a small scratch and a big laugh with the roommate
  • my comfy bed to sit and blog, read, or do homework in. (and sleep, occasionally)
  • hearing the birds chirp outside of my room
  • being an aggie and the journey to get here
  • John Piper and how the Lord uses him to speak truth into my life- "The strength of patience hangs on our capacity to believe that God is up to something good for us in all our delays and detours." 

No comments:

Post a Comment