Thursday, February 3, 2011

more-than-amazing grace

 It never ceases to amaze me how little I really know about the God I love. You would think that after 20 years of growing up in a Christian household, 17 years of Sunday school, and about 15 years of "having Jesus in my heart", my understanding of the Bible and my Father would be pretty solid. It's actually borderline embarrassing how little I truly grasp Him and His Word. Apparently, I missed the memo where God wants us to study Him. Search for Him. In my ignorance, it's like I was telling myself"Alright, I chose God and God=heaven. I'm good to go." Then as I matured in my "knowledge" of Him, my ignorance turned to laziness. My heart wanted to know and believe the sovereignty and mightiness of the Creator, but I felt stuck. I definitely had times where I desired spending time in His word and growing with Him....even now I look back and see how the Holy Spirit was working in my life and that gives me complete assurance that He is doing it now too.
Through a more devoted effort to learn about my Savior, I am for the first time seeing my need for His strength in my weakness and His holiness in my brokenness. And the more I truly examine how my life reflects Jesus, it is a constant battle to accept His grace and not be consumed by how little I deserve it. I know it seems like something your taught in Bible 101 but this is so new to me. God is making me more aware of my sinfulness so that I can fully grasp the concept of the gospel....that I am forgiven and therefore, am now free to repent. I will never reach a point where I am "fixed" and God has no more work to do in me. By following Christ, I am choosing daily to humble myself before Him and praise Him that His grace is sufficient and His power is made perfect in my weakness (2 corin. 12:9).
Hallelujer. (i took up Ebonics as a second language.)


I've said it once and I'll say it again. Every single person on this earth needs to read this book. It has been the biggest blessing to me the past month and let me just say, if you think you know God....you don't. In fact, I'm going to venture to say you hardly know Him. Don't get mad, but it's true. I'll be the first to admit that I thought I knew all about the Big Guy so don't be offended. Just read it and I promise you're understanding of who God is will deepen in ways that give you goosebumps. You can't help but fall to your knees in thankfulness for His amazing grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment